POP stands for post office protocol and is just the name for a type of email protocol. The email is stored on an email server and when your email program checks in; it downloads messages on to your physical device and then deletes them off the server.
If you only access your email via one physical machine below are guidelines which will help you to set up your POP email account on your Mac easily.
• Firstly, go into “Mail” on your device.
• You will then be asked to Choose a mail account provider, click on “Other Mail Account” followed by “Continue”.
• Fill in your name and the email address and password which you would like to set up.
• Click “Sign In” once you have filled in your details.
• Red text should appear on the screen saying “unable to verify account name or password”. Retype in your email address, username and password when this appears.
• Use the drop down box to choose “POP” as your “Account Type”.
• Scroll down to “Incoming Mail Server” and fill in your details. For a Claranet SOHO account, type “pop.clara.net” in the space provided.
• Below this, under “Outgoing Mail Server” fill in your details. For a Claranet SOHO account, type “relay.clara.net” in the space provided.
• Once you have filled in this information, click “Sign In” so that your account can be verified.